Friday, February 3, 2012

GEAR!

Finally, a complete gear list for the blog! While I've known the specifics of my gear list for a while now, I hadn't had the time to put it online and get it onto Blogger - note that uploading even Google Docs to Blogger is quite a hassle. So, after some wrangling, here it is:



I will probably switch out some items, remove others, and hopefully refrain from adding anything more. I'd like to get the total weight down to around 22 pounds, but I'm not sure how I can do that without changing out preferred gear and/or spending copious amounts of cash - both of which aren't really on the table at this point. In any case, when one looks just at the weight of the pack and its contents (ie, excludes what I will be wearing), the total comes out to just over 19¾ pounds - 317.16 ounces to be exact. So that means I'll be wearing about 6.4 pounds of clothing, of which my proposed boots constitute a whopping 4 pounds. Despite their weight, I love 'em and find them to be exceedingly comfortable in all conditions - from climbing 14ers to simple day hikes to doing field work. Everything is to-be-determined at this point, so I guess I'll just continue my preliminary hikes and leave the option to switch them out open for the time being. I'll eventually upload a preliminary gear list from the beginning of my hike and a final gear list after the hike is complete - each of which will be posted with a link to an interactive Google Doc containing links to each piece of gear.

One will also notice that Ramius will be carrying all of his own gear. Happily, when his pack is fully loaded - leash included - it should be perfectly balanced. I plan on keeping his food in my pack inside the Ursak and contained within an odor-locking OPSak so that his pack will be a consistent weight. Below, I've posted a photo of Ramius transporting some homebrew in his pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment