Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 3

Today I want to begin not with how the day began, but with how it is ending. I am sitting at a wooden table eating wasabi potatoes with salmon - well, I am sharing it with Ramius, who may need an extra scoop of food tonight. Actually, give me a moment while I grab that.

Story Spring Shelter
Okay! Anyhow, I am at Story Spring Shelter with 5 other people and actually got a spot inside tonight. Turns out they are the same few people that were at Melville Nauheim last night. Pretty serendipitous, I'd say. Although, they are not a very talkative group.


We started out this morning at about 9:20am. This was after waking up around 8:45am, having breakfast, breaking camp, and refilling our water. As we left the shelter, we ran into two AT hikers that were keen on getting to Killington in the next two days. They also mentioned that they stayed in Bennington last night at a fire house. Apparently they still had a bunch of supplies for when Hurricane Irene came through last year and gave them copious amounts of civilian MREs.


We set off shortly after them and put on a good pace so as to get all the way to Story spring tonight. It took us just under four hours to reach Goddard Shelter where we refilled water and had a long lunch. Just past Goddard (0.3 miles) is the summite of Glastenbury Mountain and a fire tower with spectacular views. I should mention that on our way to Goddard we ran into a couple of girls also hiking the LT, but travelling at a much slower pace.


After the fire tower we headed toward Kid Gore Shelter, which was supposed to take about 2.5 hours - we did it in 2. Along the way, which is almost all down hill, we ran into 3 somewhat haggard looking hikers that were very concerned about how far Kid Gorew was from their position. I told them I thought it less than 2 miles and headed on.


We never actually saw Kid Gore, choosing to just continue onward past the turnoff. We soon passed a slick stream where we saw our first aquatic frog. I'd seen many toads up to this point, but no frogs. Anyhow, I figured this somewhat uphill hike of ~5 miles would take us about 3 hours, but it took us just under 2.5. So, we arrived at Story Spring around 6:30pm and I began preparing dinner.


-A
---------------
Miles Traveled: 17.3
Miles from CA: 239.4
Miles from MA: 33.3

Total Miles Traveled: 38.7

P.S. we are 1/10 of the way to Canada!
---------------

No comments:

Post a Comment